A lot of pet owners are already adding hemp oil (an all-natural dietary supplement) to their pet’s wellness routine, and that’s mainly due to the enormous benefits these hemp-derived products offer. The market has now experienced an exponential boom after the legalization of hemp in the 2018 Farm Bill.
Currently, research estimated the hemp-derived pet supplies market to reach $125 million in 2022, making it one of the fastest growing market segment in the cannabis world.
Dr. Marcie Fallek, a holistic veterinarian in New York once said, “Hemp oil is a great holistic approach to support a pet’s overall wellbeing.”
Today, hemp oil comes in variety of forms, including soft chews, treats, tinctures, and more. It was once a challenge knowing how much hemp oil to give pets, but that’s a thing of the past as you can now easily calculate how much CBD in the hemp oil you should give your dog according to their needs. This calculator has been highly helpful- Dosage Calculator for Dogs & Cats
What is hemp oil?
Hemp oil is a byproduct of the hemp plant. It is nutrient-dense and contains antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Hemp oil is a great source of tocopherol- vitamin E antioxidants, and it has a high protein content.
Several studies have shown that the omega-3 fatty acids contained in this all-natural dietary supplement promotes natural inflammation responses, helps with skin irritations and dry skin, and promote heart health.
Today, hemp oil is widely used to alleviate pain, anxiety, depression and many host of other conditions which we shall discuss in the next two sections.
Talking about its production, hemp oil is made by cold-pressing the stalks, leaves, and/or seeds of the hemp plant.
Hemp Oil vs. Hemp Seed Oil
You might come across names like “hemp oil” and “hemp seed oil.” Note that these two names are not the same. Although both come from the hemp plant and are made by pressing oil out of the plant, they are made from different parts of the plant.
The hemp oil, also known as “CBD oil” is sometimes called broad spectrum hemp oil or full spectrum hemp oil. That is because it is made from the leaves, stalks, and flowers of the hemp plant. It contains CBD which has been shown to offer the enormous health benefits for both humans and pets.
Hemp seed oil, on the other hand, is derived from the seeds of the hemp plant. Research has shown that this seed can contain up to 30 different cannabinoids, but the hemp oil has a high CBD level than the hemp seed oil.
Both hemp seed oil and hemp oil contains plant compounds such as phenols and terpenes, which offer a host of health benefits.
While hempseed oil offers great nutritional benefits for pets, most researchers are turning their attention to the full spectrum hemp (hemp oil), which is processed from the whole hemp plant.
So far, hemp oil has not only helped humans, but pets have also enjoyed the same health-boosting benefits.
Benefits of Hemp Oil for pets
A growing number of studies have shown that hemp oils with CBD offers a lot of benefits, including:
- Hemp oil reduces anxiety in pets : Hemp oil works well for pets suffering separation anxiety or noise phobias
- Hemp oil helps to relieve pain in pets: The cannabinoids in hemp oil has been studied to work well for pains and general inflammation
- Hemp oil may help manage seizures and epilepsy: Most drugs offered to help control seizures in pets can be harmful to their liver and do not work in some cases. This all-natural supplement (hemp oil), however, has been shown by many studies to work well in drug-resistant epilepsy.
- Hemp oil may help fight cancer in pets: Hemp oil has anti-tumor properties and may help stop the growth of cancer cells from getting to the tumor stage.
- Hemp oil helps with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Hemp oil may help prevent colitis and restore normal gut motility in IBD. This supplement also offers antibiotic properties, including protection against Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).
- Hemp oil can protect the nervous system in pets: This hemp-derived oil offers a lot of promise for nerve issues including degenerative myelopathy in pets.
- Hemp oil boosts appetite and relieve nausea: If your pet is feeling nauseous or have trouble eating, hemp oil may help boost their appetite. Studies show that this supplement also help with nausea and vomiting, even when it is caused by drugs or toxins.
- Hemp oil promotes cardiovascular health: Many studies show that hemp reduces the damage from irregular heart rates and damaged blood vessels. This hemp oil can also dilates the arteries and protect the blood vessels from damage. More so, this supplement reduces blood pressure associated with anxiety and stress.
Is hemp oil safe for pets?
A lot of pet owners are concerned about the safety of hemp-derived products, and that’s normal. Well, the most interesting part of using hemp oil for pets is that they are safe, even when you use them for a long period of time.
However, it is always advisable to consult your veterinarian before using any pet supplement, especially when your pet is on medications like steroids, NSAIDs, anxiety meds, allergy meds, etc.
Now let’s move on to talk about our main topic!
How to know how much hemp oil to give your pets
When you purchase hemp oil, you will see the concentration of the product (listed in milligrams, mg). This is the amount of CBD contained in the bottle. The most common concentrations are 1000 mg, 500 mg and 250 mg.
So the question is, “how do you know how much to give your pets?” Well, the general rule of thumb has been to give 1-6mg of full spectrum hemp oil for every 10 pounds of body weight.
However, it is often advised to start from a low concentration and increase the amount from there. (If you do not see any significant different over an extended period of use).
To save you the stress, you can use this highly efficient calculator to get the exact amount of CBD to give your pet through hemp oil - Dosage Calculator for Dogs & Cats. All you need to do is to fill in your pet’s information – weight, age, and pain level. And you’ll get the best dose to start from.
If your pet is having anxiety issues, it is advisable to stick to the lower dose. You can work up the amount in cases of pain or poor immune system.
You can add the hemp oil to your dog’s food. That’s an easy way, although most dogs do not mind the taste.
If you notice any adverse allergic reaction in your pet, stop administering the hemp oil, and consult your vet to seek help.
Hemp oil is an all-natural supplement derived from legal hemp plants. This powerful product offers a lot of health benefits for pets and they are safe to use over long periods.
It is, however, important that you start with the right dose for your pet and wait for the recommended time to see results. You can try this simple and accurate calculator to save you the stress of doing it wrongly - Dosage Calculator for Dogs & Cats.
Don’t forget to speak with your veterinarian before using any supplement and if you notice any allergic reaction, stop giving your pet the hemp oil and get advice from your vet.